A Manual for Germany > Everyday Life  > Transport  > Cars  > Registration


Every car, motorbike and other motorised vehicle must at least have third party insurance ("Haftpflichtversicherung"). Insurance providers vary in costs and services provided. If you have decided to get insurance for your car then the insurer will provide you with a certificate known as a "Doppelkarte". This certificate, along with the vehicle registration documents and the "TÜV" and "ASU" certificates must be presented to the authorities at your local road traffic licensing department ("Straßenverkehrsamt"). Only then will a number plate be issued. Without this number plate it is not permitted to drive on German roads.